There's a lot about this photo I love. But one of the best things about it was something that others picked up on in the comments: Holden did, and still does, always look out for his little brother.
Looking at more of my photos of the two of them, and I saw it again and again: Holden with his arm around Riley... Holden pointing Riley's face toward the camera... Holding keeping Riley on task.
It's as if he knew, innately and early, that his role as Big Brother would be one of caretaker and nurturer and, despite a (surprisingly few) frustrating moments here and there, he's assumed this role without complaint.
I tell you this because this, to me, shows you Holden's essence. You can look back through 10 years of Holden's newsletters here and see it, too: He is, simply, a kind, caring and good person.
We're at a point where we can't help but spend some energy looking forward to the future. Holden will be starting middle school in the fall and we wonder what that will mean for him. Because, let's face it, even a kid who can go with any flow can have a rocky start to adolescence.
Until then, though, Holden continues to flourish in all he does. He had a report card that made us all proud, he is on Leadership and in GATE at school and is getting ready for his first Battle of the Books competition next week. He's done all the reading required, but I've yet to see him prepare. This will either be another of those big lessons or won't matter - either of which are ok outcomes.
He is equal parts book worm and Minecraft junkie. We know we let him play more video games than we ever thought we would, but the kid just works so hard in every other aspect of his life, it seems only fair that he gets to enjoy his down time doing what he loves to do - often with his buddies via Skype.
This is Holden's first spring not playing baseball, choosing instead to stick with soccer. He is better at soccer, and that's part of the reason, but, mostly, he chose the sport that was more fun for him. His coach from the fall, whose son is on Holden's spring team, told me a couple weeks ago that he was thrilled to have had Holden on his team last fall. Not only was he a good player who knew where to be and what to do when he got there, but he is also a good kid who supports his teammates, the coach told me. Hearing words like that ... Holden could biff every kick and I wouldn't care, because he has the skills where it really counts.
Holden continues to attend Hebrew School twice a week, without complaint. He enjoys learning about Judaism and is excelling in his Hebrew studies. I'm really seeing how the Bar Mitzvah prep has begun (and feeling it thanks to a letter from Temple confirming his date and asking for the deposit!). He's made friends at temple and is looking forward to two weeks away at Camp JCA Shalom this summer - having subsidized some of the cost with his own money. We'll miss him lots while he's gone, but know that he'll be having the time of his life and making memories that will stay with him forever.
Dear Holden,
Thank you. I feel like I can't say that enough. Thank you for always trying, even if you don't succeed. Thank you for your big heart. Thank you for your sense of humor, and for getting mine. Thank you for being reasonable, accommodating and compromising - even when it's not expected. Thank you, Holden, for those many times you stop me for a hug because, often, I need it, too.
We are lucky that we can trust you in so may ways - whether it's walking home from school and ensuring that all your chores and homework are (mostly) handled before you play video games or that you'll do well in school without us having to ever really intervene or help. I worry sometimes that we're too laid back with you, so I hope you know that we'll always be there to support you however we can.
While you've always been very independent, I can see how you're looking forward to being even more independent. Thoughts of driving your own car and going away to college are percolating near the surface now. There are mornings where I have to remind you to kiss me good-bye, and, even then, I am often only granted the top of your head. It's not because you're embarrassed, I think, but because you're just eager to get on with the day and see what it has in store.
You grew up so fast. I just need some time to catch up.
Happy 11th Birthday. I love you so big.
Mama





No comments:
Post a Comment